Tuesday, October 23, 2012

That Thing I Can't Have

Dear Diary,

Have you ever wanted what you couldn't have?  That thing that remains elusive, perhaps always in sight, but never grasped?

As children, the things we want are usually in the form of a present.  Didn't matter if a birthday or Christmas was coming, a present received any time was awesome

As teens, its usually the relational things.  Good looks.  A boy/girl friend.  A zit-free face.  A bff.

As adults it gets more serious.  A job.  A job interview.  A place of your own that is NOT in your parents' basement.  A husband or wife.  A family.  Financial stability.

Though at times these things feel unobtainable, people do eventually get some of their desires.

Dear Diary, do you know what I want?

A vibrato. 

That little waver in your voice that all the good singers have.  I've tried to get one of those, but I can't figure out how.  I've tried relaxing my throat.  I've tried tensing my throat.  I've tried singing real loud to give it a chance to come shining through.  I've tried pushing through my diaphragm (please, you know what I mean).  And, yes, I've tried doing the fake vibrato, but it's, well, fake.

At this point in my life I fear I shall never grasp the secret to a vibrato-filled singing voice.   I've tried and failed. I'm vibrato-less. (OK, I admit I may keep trying in the privacy of my shower stall.)

So I will have to pursue some other dangling carrot just out of my reach.  I wonder if anyone has tried to break the sound barrier with their body?  Hmmmmm.

Until next time,
LJ

5 comments:

  1. I love this...seriously.

    Confession time...I have always wanted to take voice lessons. Even though I'm in my 30's. Wouldn't that be fun to do together? Think about it! :)

    Maybe we won't ever find our vibrato, but we might have some good laughs along the way.

    Have a good day, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am making up for lack of voice training by living vicariously through my childrens' voice lessons. We always want to give our kids what we never had, right? :)

      Delete
  2. I couldn't pass up this one!

    I would rather hear your pure, vibrato-free tone than a faked, flat or sharp vibrato-filled voice. There are very few talented vocalists that can carry off a correctly executed vibrato. They are called professionally trained singers - most of them opera (no, Taylor, Jordin, Adele and other contemporaries do not fall in this category because of the lack of using their diaphragm correctly). Look at the bright side (of life, insert whistling): because of your vibrato-free voice you won't have the warbling, wobbling voice when you start aging!

    Did you know the vibrato was considered vanity in worship? Listen to any cloister, monk or Hebrew cantor music and you'll hear the purest, most worship-filled music transcending to God.

    BTW, I'd love for you to get a job and me to stay out of my in-law's basement for as long as possible. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the old-age vibrato IS a little distracting! Thanks, voice coach friend! You are a fount of information on the subject. I should have run this past you a long time ago and saved myself some time and energy.
      BTW thanks for the correct spelling of diaphragm which my spell check didn't catch.

      Delete
  3. Please tel Mel I took my first voice lesson at the ripe age of 35. Then, after singing in choirs for many years, I discovered I had more fun directing than singing. Also, it's never too late to try new things. NEVER! Bucket lists aren't just for old people. Start now! Grow! Have fun! PS Vibrato is over-rated!

    ReplyDelete