Thursday, September 6, 2012

My First Diary

Dear Diary,
Here I am.  It's been a while since I've written in a diary.  I still have my first diary.  Never even lost the key!  Too bad I didn't have anything juicy or philosophical to say when I was ten.  My brother could have secretly read it and fallen asleep with the evidence still in his hand.  Here's an entry from January 3, 1978 (yes, now you know how old I am)

           Dear Diary,
           I went to school today and brought my math home.  I watched happy days.

By April even I was figuring out how dull the entries were.  I decided to juice it up with entries like:

          Dear Diary,
          I started to like Lonnie Bailey and I'm glad I did!

Unfortunately, according to my historically and biographically accurate diary, ten days later Lonnie and I were no longer an item.



Why do I bring this up?  Well for one it was fun for me to go dig up a 30-something year old relic written in my own hand.  For another, I want to contrast my first, matter-of-fact diary with this one I am writing today.

Here there is no key, no secrets.  This is an outlet for me I am happy to share with my friends, family and the curious.  I don't know what I will write from time to time.  Oh you can be sure it will be whatever is on my heart at the time.  Me: waxing poet, emotion emoter, heart-reaching philosopher.  But isn't that what all bloggers do?

My youngest daughter will be ten this year, on New Year's Eve to be exact.  I wonder if she'll want to keep her 10-year-old secrets in a diary?  It could be the start of something good.

Yours sincerely,
LJ

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I love this. :) Welcome to the blogging world, my friend!

    ReplyDelete