Tuesday, August 27, 2013

My Ducks and Monkeys

Dear Diary,

I like having my little duckies in a neat row. 

I get deep satisfaction from those days when I can review my appointments and to-do list and systematically check off each item from those lists after its fulfillment.
  • Lunches bagged for three kids:  check
  • 7:30 band drop off:  check
  • Walk three miles: check
  • Side trip to peruse the clearance at Kohls: check
  • Various household duties:  check, check, check, aaaaand check
  • Pickup from volleyball practice: check
  • Fix dinner -- and make it nutritious: check(ish)
  • Bake zucchini bread: check
  • Carpool to high school evening meeting: check
There are always things accomplished in between the listed items, and sometimes they even get written down and checked off simultaneously, just for the superficial satisfaction of doing so.

It gives me the allusion that I am in control. 

The luxury of free time does exist, about an hour or so before bed. 
Usually it is nothing preplanned; just a part of my day when I don't follow a list. 

I can follow my own whim.

At dinner my husband will usually say, "Whatcha got planned for tonight?"
Nothing.
Not a thing! 
Yay me!
It is a time for me to relish a book, write in my Not-So-Secret Diary, or sit down to my crochet-and-TV nights that will start up as the weather turns colder. 

Heaven forbid I should have a ducky step outta line; an unpleasant little surprise during my day that disrupts the disciplined march/waddle of accomplishments.

A sick child,
a stressful phone call,
a sore back,
an empty jar of peanut butter.

I am a big girl.  I know not every day will be ideal.  I know that I am not in control.  (In fact, Twila Paris' song "God is in Control" has been blasted in my car or home many a frustrating day.)

I just really, really appreciate the days when life is good and my ducks are in a row.

I also realize how boring life would be if it was just a continuous line of ducks. Throw a monkey into the line and watch how lively and out of control it gets!

It's the monkeys that make me appreciate the ducks.

To my friends with too many monkeys right now, I feel your pain.  You can borrow my Twila Paris CD (how old-fashioned of me) or give me a call.  I will be happy to realign my ducks to accommodate your monkey.
LJ

1 comment:

  1. Haha...and I'm pretty sure I still have that CD buried somewhere. :) Just fyi, I've had more monkeys in my morning than ducks so far...and it's 7:30 a.m. Can tell you all about it later! ;)

    ReplyDelete