Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Time to Face the Mess

Dear Diary,
I have so many loose ends to tie, which is why I sit here in front of the computer, honing my writing skills and avoiding the unpleasant.

I took a good look at my bedroom this morning.  It is this close to being featured on the reality show Help! I Can't Find My Bed, Nor My Spouse.

I have a fairly large bedroom, so it has become the place where I put things that don't otherwise have an active role in the rest of the house.  I have a section which is the odds 'n ends holding area.  It holds my things I only use seasonally or occasionally --space heater, steam cleaner, empty gift boxes, craft stuff, stuff to give away, and yes, even a crib mattress.  And where else does one put the twelve-box package of facial tissues from Costco?  Then I have a corner for the bins of seasonal and oversized clothes that will eventually fit my daughters.  Then I have the ironing area, complete with hanging clothes, which has already been established in this diary as a limited activity zone in my house.

On top of that, I decided that this year the top of my queen-sized bed would be off-limits to all the birthday and Christmas gift wrapping in December, including removing sticky tags and cutting the annoying sparkly, yet festive, paper to size.  (No more sparkly-paper-covered gifts from me.) So I created a folding table wrapping area, which, along with all the gift wrap and bows I had to keep nearby, used up the remaining space I had left on either side of the bed.

It's time to take down and pare down.  And it's daunting. 

I like to tidy.  There is a satisfaction in that. 

But it's hard to pare down sometimes.  To let go of things I might need again someday.

Well, the time has come to face the mess. 

If I were really shameless I would provide a before and after photo of today's work.  Nahhh.  Some things, like my messy room and my actual ability to clean it up, are best left to the imagination.

Shamefully Yours,
LJ

No comments:

Post a Comment